The Home Page of Author, Lecturer & Radio Show Host Dallas Tanner

 

Saturday, June 09, 2007

After 4 long years, I have finally completed the 5th and final draft of "Wake of the Lake Monster", the 3rd and final chapter in "The Cryptids Trilogy". The last words were penned as of this date. Although the title has been in place at least that long, it has been a long, long road to come back around to my first love.

2003 was a wonderful year, with regards to the writing, as well as my involvement in cryptozoology. Financially, it was pretty well a disaster, with working petty contracts while waiting for another shot at full-time employment. Because I believe that I should put the welfare of family first, I got involved with another group of individuals in a business venture that I finally put an end to, in late 2006.

In Spring of 2006, I took a long overdue trip to the Altamaha River (pronounced Altama-ya, by the locals). Pal Bob Finley asked me to accompany him and his family, down to Hilton Head. He and I hung out together, and spent several days in the backwater country of America's 'Little Amazon'. There, the most amazing thing we saw was an Andean Condor, which took off and wheeled above our heads. Its wingspan was easily eight feet, and it quickly outdistanced us.

It was in nearby Hardeeville that we stopped by to see the late Dan Taylor's 1969 Viperfish mini sub, and the Nessa II, his work in progress at a recently purchased warehouse. The foreman, a rather disagreeable fellow, threatened to sell them for scrap, if the rennovated warehouse was not cleared of them by that Saturday. I was able to contact first the Carrols, longtime friends of the Taylors, then Dan's widow, a sweet and frail woman I spoke to on several occasions while trying to arrange a way out of the situation for the two now-legendary subs.

Dan Taylor believed he was outraced by what he described as giant eels, which the smaller, less powerful Viperfish was unable to match for speed or depth. Hence, the Nessa II. Dan poured his heart, soul and financial backing into building a much larger sub that housed a 40 foot locomotive engine. A considerable feat, considering what effort it took if he had been imagining or making the encounter up.

The Viperfish, when it went into the Loch in 1969, was thought to be 'The Yellow Submarine" that would reunite the Beatles. As it turns out and history shows, it had no such impact. What it did was keep Dan busy for the next 35 years, trying to build a ship worth of the return to Loch Ness. He was denied permits in 2004, due in part to concerns regarding hollow-tipped 'biopsy harpoons', which might injure Nessie. In 2005, he suffered a heart attack and died, leaving the Nessa II unfinished, and never placed in the water.

Both my good friend Loren Coleman and Roy P. Mackal were tied to the project, as cryptozoologists. After working with the family, an oceanographer who worked with Dan took possession of the pair of mini subs. They are out of danger of the salvage yard, but she is in a quandry as to how to get them displayed. No college or museum has shown interest in either sub, and even the Smithsonian turned down the venerable Viperfish.

I have tried to see if Vickie would permit me to take the Viperfish up to Loren's museum in Portland, Maine, where he houses 50,000 items of fortean interest in his cabinet of curiosities. She has declined, as it would put the mini sub out of reach. I also contacted another good friend in the Atlanta area, where she lives, who is an exhibit designer in a local museum. He also has no interest in the sub. So, for the time being at least, the subs will remain in mothballs, in the sole posession of one individual, where no one will ever be able to view them again.

Still, she is to be commended for making the effort. I saved them from the scrap heap, but had nowhere to take them, even if I had a way. When I spoke last to Mrs. Taylor, I told her I wanted her blessing to put Dan's sub in the water in the book. The plot and story never materialized to let that happen, so I have done the next best thing. I am dedicating "Wake of the Lake Monster", to Dan and his submarines. I hope that will suffice.

As for "Wake", it will again complete "The Cryptids Trilogy", which began with "Shadow of the Thunderbird", and continued with "Track of the Bigfoot". The 3rd and final edition of "Shadow" will precede the release of "Wake of the Lake Monster", later this year. I am very proud of all three novels, and believe the quality of them will hold up against any others in the genre of Cryptofiction.

My next project will have nothing to do with Cryptids. I have a book planned that is so relevant and startling, as it is based on what is becoming a national obsession. I will take my usual slight extrapolation, a la Michael Crichton, and go where no author date has gone. Of course, modesty and the simple borrowing of ideas so rampant in the publishing industry, prevent me from divulging even a hint of what I have planned.

I will tell you this. My next few novels will come no longer than annually. They will be more of a standard length and price, not the tomes of 200,000 words each of my first three titles. I have splendid motivation and inspiration, from a dear friend who has opened up my eyes to the possibilities and potential of what I can achieve. I am grateful to so many who have supported my writings, over the past 5 years since I released my first book.

Currently , I have passed along the manuscript for "Shadow" to the largest private publisher in the U.S. Inasmuch as my "trilogy" is actually three distinct books written in such a way as to provide a unique experience for the cryptid of choice, I originally believed that they would be regarded that way. I think now that the associate publisher is looking to receive all three, before viewing any of them. So, I will get busy and pass all three manuscripts to him by the end of June.

Again, I appreciate all your interest and would like to add, in the most humble of tones, that the rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated. I had a massive work to perform, and at long last, I have accomplished it. "The Cryptids Trilogy", barring the foreword of Loren Coleman, the lengthy acknowledgements, and the critically acclaimed cover art, is ready to be sent off for publication.

Mark my words. I will find a bigger house. Yes, I and others believe the novels are that good. It's ridiculous to believe otherwise. How far would I get, if I doubt them, after five long years? For the time being and long after, I will be so grateful to Angela Adair-Hoy and Cat Stevenson, for their help and support from Book Locker and Cover Express. If you need the best that a smaller house in either publication or book cover design, look no further.

I have already begun researching my next novel, after which time I will return to my cryptofiction roots and deliver a novel of epic proportions - literally. Until then, please, enjoy the books, and don't forget Elementum Bestia, the anthology which contains my novella, 'The Chupacabra'. I have another I will be producing - two in fact. The three will be combined into a single title, and published together.

Please stay tuned, and if you like what I have done, please take the time to let me know.

Until next time,

~ D.L.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

       
 Home  Author  Books  Research  Blog  News  Events  Contact 

 

I normally wait for some great milestone, before I...

Well, after 5 years and over a half million words,...

After nearly five years, I am proud to say that th...

After 5 years, nearly to the day that I completed ...

On Friday, February 2nd 2007, I will send off the ...

It has been three months since I last posted anyth...

I reached a saturation point, and sent the manuscr...

On July 31st, 2006, I completed the 2nd draft of "...

On Wednesday, May 31st 2004, I completed the 1st d...

I have written at least 12 chapters since returnin...

 author@dallastanner.com | Visitors | Rank